Wednesday 23 September 2020

Recovery

    Well I had my infleximab infusion yesterday and it went okay. They had a lot of new nurses training, and that meant things didn't go quite as smoothly as they normally do. 
    Things were much slower for a start, it took an hour for them to get my cannula in, but I didn't mind as they were doing there best and they have a lot to learn. I couldn't hope to retain all the information they have too. 
    Then when they were trying to put in the cannula, there were issues. The first needle she tried, she said felt like it was blunt, the second wasn't going in right either, then one of the trained nurses realised where she was going wrong and showed her. Still though she couldn't get the vein and for once it wasn't because my veins were being difficult as the the trained nurse said they were really nice and clear. 
    In the end the trained nurse tried and got it in first time. But by this point I had about 8 stab points on my arm. Bless her thought, the nurse in training, kept appologising and I told her she didn't have to that it was fine, but she still did. 
    Then it was another hour before they had my premeds ready to go, and half an hour while the trained nurse helped her to work the machine, to get it pumping everything in right. 
    I can't lie I was clock watching like crazy, Dan hates the city and trying to find stuff to do while he waits and so I am always keen for things to move quickly. But after the premeds there were delays again, with getting the infiximab started and by this point I knew it was going to be a really long day. 
    I talk to them about my hair, and some other issues I was having but was just told it's all normal reactions to infliximab because it is a Chemo drug. 
    I was also told they were upping my doses, because the bloods they took at my second infusion weren't showing enough of an improvement, so the symptoms were likely to get worse and that if this didn't work they would have to try a different chemo drug. Yay!!! 
    I really hope it doesn't come to that, I'm just starting to get a handle on all this ones lovely little surprises. 
    So I got there for 10 and didn't leave till about 3pm. The infusion only takes about 2 and a half hours at the moment. So on a good day I would have left about 1, but it's okay, like I said before, everyones gotta learn sometime. And where would we be without our lovely NHS and all the wonderful people that choose to work for them. 
    So how am I today? Pretty tired but thats normal, a bit unsteady on my feet, and getting my ass kicked by stomach pain, cause I had a sneaky big mac yesterday. Until now I had been sticking to filet-o-fish, cause I knew that doesn't cause me problems but yesterdays infusion went on so long, I was like screw it I'm having a big mac, even though I knew it would be sorry, not sorry, until today. 
    But honestly some days you just get so fed up with it all, you just couldn't care less. And I wasn't a hundred percent sure what sort of reaction I would have to a big mac, as I've not had one since I've been poorly, but given my crohn's tends not to like, salad, or beef, both of which the big mac contains, it was a pretty safe bet it wasn't gonna be good. Still it tastied amazing! I shall relish that one though, cause I won't be rushing to have another lol. 
    Today I've mainly been napping and going careful. I'm not really up to much else to be fair. 
    But I just wanted to pop on and let you know how it went, but I shall head of now, as Tweeters is kicking off as he wants his food topping up. 
love and hugs all and remember to stay healthy, cause the alternative sucks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment