Monday 19 October 2020

My week in review



So another week another blog post. It’s been a week of surprises, few of them good. My mother surprised us all with the sudden revelation that not only was she getting a puppy from Bulgaria but that it was here. 

Flashback to the last time she’d been considering the same and we all warned her off. Not because she would be bad for a pup but because the pup in question was bad for her. 

First of all it had come from a hoarding situation, where a lot of inbreeding had gone on, you know mother’s with son etc. 
Secondly mother isn’t rich and had just struggled to pay vet bills for the dog she already had. 
And thirdly the puppies legs were extremely bowed and clearly in need of surgery. Very expensive surgery. 

You see where I’m going with this right! So we managed to talk her out of that and the girl who had the pup ended up rehoming it to someone else when she found out just how much that surgery would cost. Without telling the new owners, although how all these people couldn’t tell just by looking at the dog is beyond me.
And why the hell this rescue didn’t fix it before rehoming it, is also beyond me and that is my problem with a lot of these rescues from abroad. Once they have dumped and I do mean dumped the pup or dog in a home many of them wash their hands of it. 

Anywho, opinion already really low of this particular rescue mother goes and gets a pup from them after all, and keeps it a secret. 

They lie about the breed claiming it is a chihuahua x, bollocks it’s blatantly a teacup jack Russell, even the foster said it’s clearly a terrier, but of course they see it as a chihuahua will be easier to rehome. How frigging irresponsible is the frigging rescue. 

And then the fosterer, so they give this pup to a woman who has to take the pup to the vets on multiple occasions because her dog attacked it. And not only attacked it but attacked it enough on multiple occasions to leave scars, SCARS!!!! And now they have given this woman another puppy to foster, I mean what the hell! 

And then the pup! I have met a lot of puppies in my life, including terrier puppies in fact I have even had a few myself. And all of them when little have loved people and go excited by people, but not this pup and from what mum told me before meeting him I was expecting him to be scared. He is not scared, he is indifferent. Couldn’t care less that there are people there and when he is forced to acknowledge them he is more likely to bite than he is to wag is tail. And that’s fine, poor guy was dumped in a dumpster at about 2 days old. He’s gonna have some issues. But when one of the issues is snapping with intent, at children, with no prior warning, such as a growl or raised lip. The best home for this pup is probably not one with a woman who has 14 grandkids some of them very young. 
In fact, a responsible rescue probably would have held back in rehoming this poor pup, until a behaviourist has worked with it. 

Mother as usual is in complete denial. Everything is just fine, including the fact that one of her other dogs, the sweetest little girl ever, is so petrified by this little snap fest that she will not set foot on the floor when it is out of its crate. Now that works for now, while it can’t get on the sofa but what about once it can. 
Now granted she may just need time and will eventually get more confident with it, but what if she doesn’t,  because this rescue has a habit of washing their hands of these dogs the second they have dumped them on some poor unsuspecting smuck. 

This shit has to stop, these rescues have to be regulated. Not that long ago two vans full of pups, brought over from abroad by one of these rescues, were found to have parvo, despite all of them having passport and medical records which said they were healthy to travel. 

Saving dogs from anywhere is amazing but for the animals sakes it has to be done right and the dogs have to be matched with the right owners and get any behavioural issues worked on prior to being placed in a home. 

Some of these rescues are very good and do everything right, but unfortunately a large percentage of them don’t and more and more British rescues are being filled up with these dogs when they are already bursting at the seams with puppy dogs from this country. And a lot of these rescues don’t vet homes properly either. Now I know Bristish rescues can be OTT about their vetting process but a lot of those bringing dogs over from abroad have gone the other way, and do no vetting at all. 

They also need to be honest with people, about the breeds where possible, about the dogs character or any issues they may have, and about the risk of health problems. And ensure that if they are not going to deal with medical issues themselves that they need to make this clear to new owners and explain that as they know little about the dogs background there is a higher risk of the animal having health issues. Especially if they know the dog has come from a situation where there was a lot of inbreeding. Because if someone is low income then they probably shouldn’t be getting one. And if that person isn’t prepared to think about that themselves, than a rescue should be. And given that the lady who runs this one already knows my mother struggled to get the money to pay for her dogs surgery that wasn’t even insanely expensive surgery, there is really no excuse. 

Anyway rant over. Needless to say only time will tell what the outcome will be but it’s not looking great and this poor pup is gonna bare the brunt of that. 

Moving on, health.

Well I got my antibiotics and steroids again as you know and am pleased to say that I am back in remission at least for now.

I am still yet to hear if the Infliximab is working which has left me a little confused, as my IBD team have decided to double my dose even though they say they have not had the results back for the Infliximab trough and antibodies tests they did, yet. 

They also say they want to do a follow up review and that I may be referred for surgical input. But don’t say if that is for the stricture, which I assumed was okay now as it seems to have stretched seeing as solid food seems able to pass easier now, or for the inflammation issue. 

So I’m feeling pretty confused right now. 

Also they want me to go for another infusion in the next two weeks, though I haven’t been given an exact date yet, at the same dose as my last dose, when I wasn’t meant to be having another infusion until the start of November. 

Why can’t this people be a little bit clearer about things and you know, like maybe say why they are doing it, instead of just a random letter that tells you what they are doing but not why?

Anyway day by day I guess. And at least for now I am out of pain which is a blessing cause I was really getting to my breaking point where the pain was concerned. Oh and no liquid diet now, well at least not for the moment anyway. Although they are keeping the referral open just encase that changes and it’s deemed I do need it after all.


Kye and I have been pre-decorating envelopes over the weekend to save time and having to buy stickers all the time. We’ve kept it simple with mainly Kawaii designs but I think they are coming out quite good. 
Some examples below. 







Other that still haven’t been up to a whole lot dew to having to stay in bed rest for another week yet. But that’s the joys of Crohn’s I guess. Hopefully I’ll have more exciting things to tell you about soon. 

Love and hugs Joss, and remember stay health cause the alternative sucks!! Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment