Tuesday 17 November 2020

Book thoughts: The Haunting of Beatrix Green episode 1, by Rachel Hawkins, Ash Parsons, & Vicky Alvear Schecter


     Beatrix is a spiritual medium without all the flare, so when James comes along in search of the real deal, he believes Beatrix is it and persuades her to come to a manner to test her skills. But Beatrix doesn't trust James, he has a reputation for discrediting mediums and proving them to be frauds and Beatrix is no different, she doesn't even believe in ghosts. 

    But none the less Beatrix goes along, and both James and Beatrix, along with some friends they roped in to join them, get more than they bargained for. 

    At the start of this book I felt the premise was good. And the plot clever, but sadly the writing was not. I struggled to stay focused on the story and got tired of having to use my kindle to look up the meanings of words along the way. Which was disappointing as it started well. Maybe it is the jumble of so many authors, I don't know, but there was no real flow to it. And it had a habit of rambling on a fair bit. 

I don't like how it is laid out in episodes, or how it jumps between characters, retelling part of what you had already read but from the new characters point of view,  I felt that Beatrix admitted to her lack of abilities way to easily too. 

overall I just couldn't get on with this one and so it gets 1 start and even that is being generous to be honest. 

Thank you to Netgalley, the 3 authors and Publisher for allowing me a free copy, this book really just wasn't for me, but good luck with this and your future releases. 

No comments:

Post a Comment