Wednesday 8 August 2012

Childhood monster blog post

So, I am getting involved with another blogfest, I love these things and only wished that there were more. So this one is all about childhood monsters. My time for imaginary childhood monsters was relatively short before a real one came into my life, but I remember as a kid being afraid to sleep with any of my body parts hanging out of the bed for fear that the bogey monster would grab at them from under the bed.
Everything had to be safely tucked under the quilt nice and tight, my dog curled up beside me for me to be able to sleep.
Then there were the shadow monsters, the ones that instantly appeared as soon as the light went off and vanished as soon as they came on. I would spend hours laying there frozen to the spot staring at the shadow monsters until at last reality kicked in and I figured out what was creating it, or I panicked and screamed for my mum.
I now have experienced Childhood monsters with my son, who went through a very bad stage of being afraid of monsters, we came up with an idea of combating it, by buying him Glow in the dark dinosaurs that stick on his walls.
We told him that the Dinosaurs would glow first thing when he went to bed to make sure the monsters knew they better not come near and then would only glow if the bad monsters tried to get in to combat that fact that there glow wears off. Ever since he has slept soundly in his bed with not a problem.
However we did have to reassure him that they would only scare of the bad monsters and not the good one, because he liked the good ones lol.
I can't remember how my own mum dealt with my Childhood monster fear, but my husbands mum had quiet a good idea, she gave my husband a little toy gun when he was a child and told him whenever he saw a monster to shoot at it and it would run away. I can just imagine what would have happened if I had used that approach with Kye kye, lol, he would be up all night pow pow powing away lol.
I'd love to hear your stories about your childhood monsters and how your parents combated them for you, or how you did for your own children.
love and hugs
Joss xxx

6 comments:

  1. I dealt with my own monsters. As far as I remember I only had the one, and as long as I stayed awake she couldn't get me. :)

    Lauren
    Lauren-ritz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the glow in the dark stickers. My son equates monsters with the friendly ones on Sesame Street right now, so I don't have to worry about dealing with any frightening ones yet. Thanks for sharing your stories with us and for helping promote my novella.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever way to combat monster fear. None of my children ever worried about monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww thank you for all your great comments, yes the glow in the dark dino's have worked really well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha--great stuff with the glow-in-the-dark dinosaurs. There's another entry on the blogfest by someone who got scared by a glow-in-the-dark poster of ET, so there's no telling how a child's mind work, but I'm glad this one worked out for your son. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a squirt bottle of water and lavender essential oil for my daughter and told her it was monster spray. On a bad night I'd go check on her, only to find her carpet sodden, but her fast asleep. For my son, giving him a flashlight was all he needed. He just needed to be able to see to feel safe. Love the glowing dino method!

    My monster: http://thewarriormuse.blogspot.com/2012/08/childhood-monster-blog-fest.html

    ReplyDelete