Monday 21 April 2014

A to Z challenge, R is for Rottweiler


Today’s post is one that really speaks to my heart. As for years I have loved Rottweiler’s largely due to a very special boy in my life who sadly passed away recently.

Meet Hooch.





Hooch was 13 years old when he passed away, which is a very good age for a Rottweiler. He was my very first Rottweiler and a dream come true.

Hooch was a herding Rottweiler, which means he was very tall and muscular. The most common Rottweiler in the UK is the guard type, which tend to be shorter and rounder.

Hooch was a gentle giant. The sweetest, most loving dog you could ever hope to meet. His breed and size often made people weary of him. Including my friend Sam, who normally is unfazed by any dog, but that fear quickly turned to love on getting to know him.

Hooch was responsible for converting a lot of Rottweiler phobics, including my own mother and my mother-in-law.


He loved to play, but wasn’t a fan of going for a walk and on more than one occasion got to the top of the road, sat down, looked at me with his big beautiful eyes and pretty much made it clear that he was trying to tell me. “I’ve had enough now mum, lets go home.”

Another of hooch's passion was children. He absolutely adored them. He would sit there and allow my son to climb all over him without battering an eyelid and loved to go up to the bus stop to wait for the school bus where he could be surrounded by children. Because of his huge size, kids loved to wrap their arms around his neck and just hug him tight and hooch loved it too.


Hooch was so docile that when a young lad was sneaking into our home and gathering up the pound coins my husband used to leave everywhere. Hooch did not batter and eyelid. As far as he was concerned he had a new friend and he followed the teen around happily. When the lad eventually got caught and dragged up by his mother to apologise he said. “Your little dogs evil, but your Rottweiler is awesome.” He was lucky our little dog is left in a dog crate when we go out or he might not have faired so well.

Hooch got to enjoy love in his life with our other Rottie Lady. These two adored each other as the picture below shows. 


They had a beautiful litter of eight puppies together and lady and hooch were by far two of the best dogs we've ever had. 



Towards the end of hooch’s life, he started to lose control of his bladder. Whenever he had an accident, he would look so mortified with himself and dejected, bless him.  It made little difference to us thought, for he was our baby and come what may we were sticking by him till the end.



He was such a big part of all our lives and we were devastated to lose him, but over joyed to have known him. For weeks after his death I continued to instinctively step over his faviourt spot at the end of our bed on the floor, where he loved to lay. Forgetting that he was no longer there anymore.


I look forward to seeing him again in heaven one day. Until then, he will always be in my heart and never far from my mind. He was a truly amazing dog.



If you would like to learn more about Rottewielers, please watch the video below. 




1 comment:

  1. I love Hooch. He seems like he was such an amazing pup. We had a yellow lab who experienced similar issues at the end of his life and we stuck with him as well. Because pups like Hooch (and Calvin) transcend the bonds of "owner-pet." They're our babies, our friends and our family. I'm so glad Hooch found his way to you. It sounds like you gave him one amazing life.

    ReplyDelete